The majority of ecommerce website templates come with a default signup form at the bottom of the page. Depending on the template you're using for your website, this signup form might not be automatically integrated with Omnisend and need to be integrated manually.
ATTENTION: This requires a manual modification of your store code. This means that in case you decide to remove Omnisend integration from your store, you will need to manually edit the code back to its original state. Otherwise your signup form would not work correctly.
Contents of this article
- Before you start
- Eligible signup forms
- Integrating automatically
- Manual integration
- Integrated signup form and GDPR
Before you start
- This integration method allows you to collect email addresses, first names, and last names
- You need to have the signup form present on your website prior the integration
- This method does not provide you with a signup form, just integrates the one you already have
Eligible signup forms
This type of integration is only available to a certain type of signup forms and might not be a solution for all cases. It works on the signup forms, that are available as a part of your website template. Usually those signup forms are available on the footer of your website, but the exact placement is not that important in this case.
What is important, is that this form is a part of your website and is not provided by a third party. Omnisend is then able to locate it's code (sometimes automatically, sometimes with some manual help) and capture the signups.
Usually these signup forms look similar to the one shown below.
This article explains how you can integrate it on your store. If you are using Shopify or BigCommerce, refer to these articles:
Once you start the integration process, there is a high chance you will be able to do it automatically. Our handy wizard should help you to go through the process, which consists of two main steps:
- Checking current integration status by signing via that form
- Fixing the issues, if there any (manual integration)
Checking current integration status
To start checking your integration status, first you need to enable the subscribers collection (if it is not yet enabled). To do so, locate the signup form on your Forms tab and click Check & Fix. Clicking on the name of the form will not bring you to this wizard, so make sure you're clicking the button and not the signup form name.
You should now see Check now and Disable this form buttons activate.
This means you can start checking the integration status. Follow the instructions on that page to proceed with the check of integration:
- signup via that form using a not yet subscribed email address
- click the Check now button to initiate the check
If you subscribe with an email address that is already on your list or if the integration is not working, you will receive an error message. Please make sure you are testing with a completely new email address.
If the newly signed up email address goes through, you will receive a success message and start seeing the reports for this signup form.
Now you can click Edit next to the signup form to edit the success and error messages and it's design or go to check the reports.
In case your signup form does not work out of the box, you have a couple of options:
- Using our backend API to pass your signups. Refer to contacts method to learn, how you can pass that data.
- Adding frontend selectors manually.
- Contacting our support for help.
Using our backend API to pass your signups
This is the most accurate and best way to pass your contacts from a signup form. However, keep in mind it requires backend coding and is only applicable if you are not on BigCommerce or Shopify.
Adding frontend selectors manually
If you have access to your HTML files and can locate the signup form code there, you can add the needed selectors manually. Here's what you'll need:
- Add <form class="omnisend-subscribe-form"> at the beginning of your signup form HTML
- Add the closing tag </form> at the end of your signup form HTML
- Update with a class <input type="email" ... class="..." ...> to <input type="email" ... class="... omnisend-subscribe-input-email" ...>
- If you want to collect names and last names, add the omnisend-subscribe-input-first-name and omnisend-subscribe-input-last-name to appropriate places.
In case you are not able to integrate the Newsletter footer form from your store, check our Troubleshooting article to find more information.
Integrated signup form and GDPR
To be able to use this kind of integration and be in line with GDPR requirements, you should make sure that your subscribers are fully aware to what they are signing up and how their data will be used.
As we cannot collect subscriber consent via such integration (due to missing some crucial data), therefore you should make sure that your leads are informed about your use of collected data and that they approve such use. This is something that you need to have implemented from the store side, not Omnisend.
This does not apply to Omnisend provided signup forms (Popup, Signup Box, Wheel of Fortune, Landing page) as all of them are GDPR compliant.