Omnisend synchronizes data with your store, so your store contacts are automatically added to Omnisend. In addition to this, you can import contacts from file or other services.
Import from file
In order to import contacts successfully, the file has to be set up properly. All info of each contact should go in one separate row and each column should contain a single type of information, e.g., First name, Last name, City, etc. Just like in the example:
Now go to Audience tab > click Add contacts > Import contacts from file > Browse file and upload the file with the contacts you wish to import, the file can be in .csv .xls .xslx .ods format.
Mapping the attributes
Don't forget to set the attributes! Attributes help us map the data from your file, i.e. email to Email address, name to First name, etc. Property is mapped after selecting one of the properties from the drop-down menu:
- Default properties
- Custom properties:
You can also search for a property, but note when searching for a property all lowercase letters must be used.
Once the attribute is set, it will be marked as mapped. You can still change the property after mapping.
Note, if you are searching for a property and we cannot find such property, you will get an option to "create as new custom property" right away.
After mapping and clicking continue, newly created properties will be available in forms, profile page, etc.
Preferred import options
Adding a Tag
Finally, choose the preferred import options:
- Add a Tag. This will add a tag to all of the contacts you are about to import. Just type in the name of the tag > click Add as tag. You can add as many tags as you wish to your import. When you add a TAG, all of the contacts you are about to import will be tagged so you could filter and segment them in the future.
Creating a segment
Mark the checkbox Create a segment of imported contacts to automatically create a segment for your import. The segment will be named after the type of import and date of import "Contacts imported via <manual_import_type> on <date_of_import>”.
IMPORTANT: You will not be able to create a new list, therefore all the imported contacts will be tagged automatically according to the type and date of the import. Two auto tags will be added:
- "imported via <manual_import_type> on <date_of_import>”
- "source: manual tag"
You can find the imported segment by navigating to Audience > Segments.
- Choose to Import first row if there are no headers in your file. Otherwise, select No.
- Confirm that your contacts agreed to receive your newsletters.
- Select Yes, if you wish to trigger automation workflows for these contacts that have trigger "Contact enters a segment" or "Contact exits the segment".
Once the import is complete, you will see the report under Latest imports. Click Detailed report to see how many subscribers were on your file, how many of them were new, updated or skipped.
Import from other services
We made it fast and easy to import contacts from other email marketing services to Omnisend. See an example of how to import subscribers from MailChimp.
Have more questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.