Omnisend offers many different ways to provide discounts to your customers. However, the Discount content block has an ultimate functionality, allowing you to generate unique discount codes in your Shopify and Bigcommerce platforms.
If your store is not on Shopify or Bigcommerce, jump to the dedicated article.
In this article, we will walk you through the following topics:
- Auto-generated discount on Campaign. That creates a single code with one use per email address;
- Auto-generated discount on Automation workflows. That creates unique codes for each time the workflow is triggered;
- Changing the format for the Auto-generated discount code
- Setup of a Discount content block
- APPLY SHOPIFY DISCOUNT link
- Setting Auto-generated discount conditions
The functionality of the Discount content block depends on the type of the email it was added to:
- For Email Campaigns, only one discount code is generated, and its use can be restricted by one redemption per email address or with the maximum number of redemptions settings.
- For Automatic workflows, unique discount codes are generated every time the email from the workflow is sent. Here, the discounts can be restricted by one redemption per customer.
In both cases, the discount is applied to the cart. If you add one product, use the discount and then add another product, the discount will be applied to both products.
Auto-generated discount on Campaign (single code per Campaign)
If you add the Discount content block to your campaign, one unique discount code will be created for that particular campaign, which means that all of the Campaign recipients will receive the same discount code.
A placeholder of XXXX-XXXX-XXXX will be shown during the setup process, and the code will be added from your store's admin automatically when you send the campaign.
In Shopify admin, the discount code will be displayed in the following way:
In Bigcommerce, the discount code will be generated under the Marketing -> Coupon Codes section and will look in the following way:
Here you may see that discount code can be used many times but only once per customer's email address, as it is set by default. If you want to allow a single customer (email address) to redeem this discount more than once you may set the value in APPLY DISCOUNT ONCE PER CUSTOMER field to No. The maximum number of discount redemptions can be set in the MAX REDEMPTIONS field. Jump to this section for more information.
Auto-generated discount on Automation workflows (single code per customer)
If you add the Discount content block to your automation, every single message will have a custom unique discount code for each time the email is sent. In other words, all recipients will get a custom, unique discount code.
During the set-up, you will see the placeholder only, and the actual discount will be generated when the message is sent.
In Shopify, these codes will have the following settings:
In Bigcommerce, they will look as follows:
Here, you may see that the code can be used only once.
Discount codes in the Automation sequence
If you add the discount content block to each of the workflow messages, different codes will be generated. Although you won't be able to send a reminder for the same code, you may set the expiration date for the discount equal to the delay between messages.
Important! For Shopify and Bigcommerce users, discount codes will be generated in the sent emails only. Test emails will still show the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX placeholder.
Changing the format for the Auto-generated discount code
The format of the code generated in the Discount Content block cannot be changed. Nevertheless, you can create your own code on your store's admin and then insert it in your email as a Text block that can be customized so that it will look just like the Discount content block does or you can use another content block, i.e., Gift Box or Scratch Card (for Campaigns only).
Setup of a Discount content block
The discount content block is available in the editor in the Content step.
1. You will need to drag and drop it into your message if it's not added by default:
Note. Only one Discount Content block can be added to the email, if you already have one block, you won't be able to drag it to the email.
Once you add the block to the Email message content, you will see 2 (Email Campaign) or 3 (Automation workflow) tabs with different settings.
2. In the Content tab, you will find the general settings where the content of the block and the discount conditions can be changed.
Link in the Block settings
You may add a link to the Link input field and re-direct your customers to the specified page of your store after clicking on the Redeem button. It may be a home page, link to a certain collection, or even personalized link to the cart with the products your customer's abandoned (valid for Abandoned Cart automation only).
If you don't add any link, the Redeem button won't be shown.
APPLY SHOPIFY DISCOUNT link
For Shopify users, the Discount Content block has the option to APPLY SHOPIFY DISCOUNT link.
When this option is checked, the customer is re-directed to the home page of your store, and the discount code is applied automatically when the customer proceeds to the check-out.
This the only scenario when clicking on the Redeem button within the Discount content block, will apply the discount automatically.
Setting Auto-generated discount conditions
The first option available in the menu allows you to choose the type of discount:
Depending on the option you choose, the rest of the settings will adjust automatically.
- Cart percentage - specify the percentage off, expiration period and the products to which this discount should be applied;
- Fixed cart discount - specify the exact amount of the discount, expiration period, and the products to which this discount should be applied. Your Omnisend account settings define the currency of the discount. Contact our Support Team if you need to change it.
- Free Shipping - specify the expiration period.
For the Cart percentage, you may also choose to which products the discount would apply.
Discount settings in the Email Campaign
In Campaigns settings, you may also adjust the number of discounts customers may receive:
MAX REDEMPTIONS to set a number of times the coupon can be used. If you wish to send the coupon to 300 customers, add 300 in the field. If you leave it blank, the limit of 500000 times will be applied. This field restricts the number of discount redemptions and doesn't change the value per customer.
APPLY DISCOUNT ONCE PER CUSTOMER option to limit how many times one customer can use the code. In automation, these options are not available and Max Redemptions is equal to 1.
3. In the Settings tab, you may define the design of the Discount content block. Make sure to explore all of the options, as you can change the colors, sizes, padding, button radius, and many more.
4. The Conditions tab is available for the Automation workflows only. Here, you may define the category of the customers that will see the Discount content block in the Email message.
5. Once you finalized your discount content block, click Save to save the changes and the discount content block will be ready to be shared with your customers!
Discount code is a great way of grabbing the attention of the new customers and at the same time, it is a nice way of showing appreciation to the returning and long time customers. It is now a lot easier to share discounts with your customers. Just add Discount content block to your message and send it their way!
Will I see the discount code in my Shopify/Bigcommerce admin? Yes, the discount code will be created in your Shopify admin after the email is sent.
Why is the Redeem button not shown in the email preview? Make sure you added links to all of the buttons in the email message. If the link is not added, the button won't be shown.
How can I restrict the discount to one use per customer? That's how it works for the Automatic workflows, but for the Email Campaigns, it is set to 1 use per email address. You may restrict the total number of redemptions and set the expiration date.
Can I change the Discount settings after the email is sent? Yes, you may find the discount code in your store admin and change its settings. Omnisend only presents the discount to the customer.
Is it possible to apply the discount automatically and sent the customer to the check-out page? No, you should either enable the Apply Shopify Discount link that will apply the discount automatically or add the link to abandoned check-out.
Is there any other way to offer unique discount codes to my customers? You may also upload a list of the Discount codes and assign them as custom properties to your customers' profiles. However, under this scenario, the code can be added to the Email Campaigns only.
Have questions? Don't hesitate to contact our Support Team.