Popup is one of the signup forms provided by Omnisend. This form shows up automatically on the selected pages according to the timing option you've chosen: after spending some time on your store, after scrolling, on exit, etc. You may use this form to collect your customers' opt-ins for both Email and SMS channels, get more information about them, offer the discount, and trigger our Welcome sequence.
⚠️The pop-up is not created automatically but will be added to your website as soon as you create and enable it in Omnisend. Only the Newsletter form is added to your Omnisend account automatically.
Before you start
Popup is one of the signup forms you get with your Omnisend account. For the popup form to work, make sure you have the following:
- A working website with Omnisend snippet present. If you have Shopify, Bigcommerce, or are using one of our plugins, like Magento, then your snippet is already there. If you are on custom API integration, refer to step 2 of this guide.
- Omnisend account with either payment plan.
- You can collect subscriber consent for email or text messages communication or both.
1. Create a Pop-up form. Go to Forms > All Forms > Create form or click Edit next to a preset Popup. You will be then brought to the setup wizard.
2. Theme. At this stage, you can change:
- From name - it is needed for internal use only and should help you distinguish this sign-up form, among others.
- Topic - will give you some hints on the text you may add to the form.
- Layout - defines the general layout of the form: Image Left, Image Right, Background Image, Without Image, Simple. The Layout also suggests the design of the form, text layout, size of the form, and a few more editings that can easily be changed in the Design stage of the set-up process.
3. Content & Design. To switch between editing of content and design, click on the top buttons of the sidebar.
Content. On this stage, you may change all of the content settings.
Here is the list of the contents you may edit:
- Select Language preset
- Upload Logo and change the image (if the chosen theme supports it)
- Change Headlines texts
- Enable opt-ins collection for Email and SMS channels. By default, all of the forms collect Emails opt-ins only. However, you may enable SMS channel opt-ins collection and even both at a time.
- Add additional predefined property fields as well as add custom properties to your form (Standard and Pro feature).
- Edit Submit button text
- Change the content of the messages shown for successful and erroneous submissions
- Enable GDPR (Europe) and TCPA (USA) consents collection. To ensure you are compliant with the different regulations, we provide you an option to enable a comprehensive consent collection.
Click on the expansion sign and enable the detailed consent collection for the relevant regulation. The consent message will be added to your signup form.
Design. In this section, you can change the styling of the form and each of its blocks. Including:
- Box position or where the form appears on the screen
- Customize theme, by changing overlay, colors, text, and button styling.
Here, you may also change your form design with the custom CSS rules, although using this option is only recommended for advanced users who know CSS well.
- In the Design section, you can also choose to remove Omnisend branding (Standard and Pro feature), remove the close button, make the popup Google-friendly on mobile (read more here) and enable or disable the popup on mobile.
- Once you have added your texts and styling, you can check the success message view by clicking on "Success" at the top of the editing window (Form and Success).
- To check, how your form looks on mobile, click an icon at the bottom of the sidebar. See both examples in the image below.
- Click Save & Proceed to go to the next step of the setup.
4. Settings. This step allows you to change the following settings:
- Add a Tag to organize your new signups into segments (you can use existing tags or create a new one) and send targeted communication based on the segments you create. You can add as many different tags as you like, which will help you filter your contacts that subscribed using this form.
- Enable the Double-opt-in option. When enabled, every new subscriber will need to confirm the subscription to be added to your contacts list or trigger the workflow.
- The timing when the form will appear (Immediately, after viewing a particular amount of pages, after spending a particular amount of time on a page, after scrolling a particular amount of page, or trying to leave the page (read more about our exit-intent technology)
- Targeting to particular visitor groups (All visitors, targeting by page URL (e.g. https://yourstoreurl.com/contact), targeting by part of page URL (e.g. /dresses/ - which would work on all pages that include /dresses/ in the URL))
- Limits - defining when the form will be displayed again for the non-subscribed visitors (after hours, days, weeks, months). If the customer not yet having our cookie in his browser will close the form, it won't be displayed according to the Limit setting you've selected.
5. Confirm & Launch. This last step is here to help you easily check if everything you have set up is correct. You can jump to any setup part by clicking on the Edit link next to each item.
6. Click Save & Enable to launch the popup or Save & Close, if you want to get back to it a bit later. If you want to check how the Popup looks like on your website without enabling it, just use the Preview feature.
Also, if you want to test Popup on your website without your customers being able to see it, just set it to be seen on a specific page that isn't usually visited by customers.
Sharing the discount
There is a number of different ways to offer a sign-up discount to your customers. Here are a few examples:
Offer the discount in the Sign-up form
To add the discount code to the Sign-up form, you will need to generate the discount code in your store's admin and then add it to the success message of your pop-up. Under this scenario, the same discount code is offered to all of your contacts, but the user experience will be seamless as he won't need to leave your website and may copy the code right after subscribing.
Offer the discount in the Welcome automation
Under this scenario, you need to set-up both the sign-up form and Welcome automation. The default Welcome automation is sent to all customers, no matter to which of the forms they subscribed, nevertheless, you may set the trigger so that the email with the discount will be sent after subscribing to the one offering the discount.
Sending the Welcome automation will unlock the ability to add a Discount content block, generating the unique codes for each of your subscribers (for Shopify users) or a static one that could be added as a text or to the Gift Box content block. Sending the discount in the automation will also help you target it more accurately. For example, you can trigger different messages to new visitors and those that placed at least one order.
Is it possible to disable the form for mobile visitors? Yes, you can find a check-box in the Design section of the sign-up form editor.
Is it possible to trigger Exit-intent Pop-up on mobile devices? Unfortunately, it is not possible. Instead, we may recommend adding some other forms, like a Sign-up box that will be available on both desktop and mobile devices or using different timing for the Pop-up form.
What logic does form targeting is using? Is it OR or AND logic? Forms targeting is using OR logic. In other words, it is sufficient to have at least one of the URL parts specified in the settings to trigger the form on that page.
Why my form keeps appearing to me if I've filled in the information already? As soon as you fill out the Pop up form, we place a cookie that lets our system know that the form has been filled out and we shouldn't show the Pop up anymore. If you're browsing in incognito, cookies can't be placed. That's why Pop up will appear to you again during your next visit. Also, it'll work the same way, if your browser automatically cleans cookies after tab/browser is closed. Basically, the cookie should remain in your browser for us to be able not to show the Pop up anymore. Otherwise, we can't know if you have ever filled out the form and Pop up will be shown.