If you want to integrate Omnisend with another software (e.g. 3rd party contact form), you can pass data to Omnisend (or get data) via our API. With every request, we require using API key for authorization purposes.
Creating an API key
You can create an API key by going to Store settings in your Profile menu > Integrations & API > API key > click Create API key
Enter the name for your API key and choose the permissions it should have. There are two main options:
1. This API key will only allow adding new subscribers. This permission allows:
- to get only the titles (using this API call) and IDs of all subscriber lists in the particular Omnisend account (no actual subscribers can be downloaded or edited). List ID is required in order to add a new subscriber.
- to add new subscribers (using this API call).
This type is sufficient when you only want to connect your site with your Omnisend account.
2. Setting up custom permissions for this API key. The permission allows to access this data:
- Campaigns (allows to download reports, lists of recipients)
- Lists (allows to create, edit, download, delete lists)
- Contacts (allows to create, edit, download, delete subscribers)
- Orders (allows to create, edit, download, delete orders)
- Products (allows to create, edit, download, delete products)
- Carts (allows to create, edit, download, delete carts)
- Events (allows to trigger and get custom events for custom automations)
These additional permissions are useful when you're doing a deep integration of Omnisend to your store, not just integrating a third party tool for a particular feature. To learn more about API integration, see our documentation.
You can change these permissions any time in the future.
Permissions are created to assure your API key only passes through the information you want to and does not abuse your integration. You can create a different combination of the permissions, for example, a key which has access only to List data and cannot reach Contacts (Subscribers) or Campaigns.
That's it. You have created an API key.
If you decide there are any changes needed to the permissions of a particular API key, keep in mind that it takes up to 5 minutes for those changes to reflect.
Useful resource - Full Omnisend API documentation.