Tags are the labels you can create to organize and manage your Audience. They will help you to structure your contracts and store essential pieces of data.
Tags can help you categorize your contacts based on the data you know about them, to direct your communication to a specific contact group, and more.
Adding a tag
There are a few ways to tag your contact:
- Add a tag in your contact's profile page;
- Add a tag in bulk in the Audience tab;
- Add a tag in Signup Form;
- Add a tag in Automation flows;
- Add a tag while importing your contacts.
Each of these options provides certain benefits and can carry a piece of valuable information about your contacts. Let's check each of these options in greater detail.
Add a tag in your contact's profile page
You can assign a tag to a single contact by creating a new one or choosing the one that exists already in the contact's profile page.
Navigate to the Audience tab -> find the contact and open the profile page -> scroll down to the Tags section -> click on the Add button and start typing its name.
Add a tag in bulk in the Audience tab
You can tag your contacts in bulk under the Audience tab. Here, you have two options:
- tag the whole Audience;
- tag contacts from the Segment.
In both cases, the process is the same. The only difference is that you should either select contacts from the All contacts list or from the Segment.
If you wish to add a tag to some of the contacts only, you may add a check-mark next to their email addresses only. But, if you want to tag the whole list or the entire Segment, you should click on the "-" button next to the Name section and choose to Select all contacts.
After you select contacts, click on the Actions button and select the Add tag option from the drop-down menu.
💡You may use the same algorithm to remove the Tag from your contacts' profiles in bulk.
Add a tag in Signup Forms
If you add a tag to the Signup form settings, it will be assigned to all contacts (new and already subscribed) submitting this form. By adding those tags to your customers' profiles, you may set up different Segments to identify contacts submitting this form.
To add a tag, navigate to the Signup form editor -> Settings -> start typing its name to pick the existing one or create a new one.
Add a tag in Automation flows
You may also add a tag as one of the steps in your Automation sequence. To accomplish that, navigate to the Automation editor -> Drag & drop the Tag block to any place in your workflow -> choose an existing tag or create a new one -> hit Save.
In the Tag block settings, you can choose whether you want to Add or Remove tags from your contacts' profiles.
Few things to know about Tags in automation:
- Tag block can be placed anywhere in the workflow;
- Tag block can be used multiple times in one workflow;
- You can create a new tag or choose an already existing tag from your list;
- You can add a tag for contacts that entered/exited the flow; or only after the contact received the message (disregarding the channels you use)
Use Tag in automation to label the contacts that entered/exited one automation workflow, then create a segment based on that Tag and use it to send more communication via campaigns or other automation workflows.
Add a tag while importing your contacts
You can add a tag during the contact import to the entire contact list you are importing and create a segment with the imported contacts automatically.
Using a tag
Tags can help you collect and store the data about your contacts. You can use tags to Segment your contacts and target your communication more precisely.
To create a segment based on a specific tag, go to the Audience -> click on the Create segment button -> Tag is "your tag name" (example below). Save the Segment to use it for later sends.
After you create a segment, you can use it for your Campaigns sending or in the Automation workflow settings.
Removing a tag
Just like with the option to add a tag, there are a few ways to remove it:
- Untag a single contact in the Profile page;
- Remove the Tag in bulk for All contacts or a particular Segment;
- Remove the Tag in the Automation workflow settings;
- Delete the Tag.
Untag a single contact in the Profile page
There is nothing simpler than removing a tag in the Profile page; all you need is to scroll down to the Tags section and choose to delete the Tag.
Remove the Tag in bulk for All contacts or a particular Segment
Just like with the option that lets you add a tag, you may remove it for:
- A saved segment
- All contacts list
Simply select all contacts from the list and choose to Remove Tag.
All of the contact tags are now listed in the contacts' Tag list. You can find it in the Audience tab -> Tags.
Here, you can see the full list of tags created in your Omnisend account, choose different filters, Delete the tag, Untag, or Export all contacts having that Tag.
Cancel your automation workflow for a particular contact
- Add a "tag A" to your contact in the contact's profile page
- Create a segment "segment A" with a rule Tag is "tag A"
- Add an Exit condition in the workflow you wish to cancel for that contact with the rule Contact enters a segment -> segment is "segment A".
In this case, your automation workflow will be immediately canceled for all contacts that match your "segment A" rule.
Auto-tag (tag X) new contacts that fall into an existing segment (segment X):
- Create a custom automation workflow with a trigger contact enters a segment, where the segment is "segment X".
- Within the workflow, add only 1 block, TAG block, and state that TAG is "tag X".
In such a case, new entries of the workflow will be contacts that meet the segment rule. They will be tagged with the tag block, and the workflow will end without sending any messages.
For example, a new user bought "X product" for the first time and that the user is automatically entering the segment (segment X), where the rule is Purchased product -> Product is X product. Use the steps above to add a tag to those new users automatically.
Remove a tag (tag X) from contacts that fall into an existing segment (segment Y):
- Create a custom automation workflow with a trigger contact enters a segment, where the segment is "segment Y"
- Within a workflow add only 1 block, REMOVE TAG block, and state that TAG is: X
The two workflows will be dedicated to tagging new segment entries and for removing a tag for other segment entries.
If you have more questions or need any assistance, talk to our Support Team via In-app chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org.