At the beginning of 2016, Google published an announcement regarding two upcoming changes. One of them was related to Popups.
Google promised to improve the mobile browsing experience by tackling popups since they “provide a poorer experience to users than other pages where content is immediately accessible.”
Here are some examples of techniques that make content less accessible to a user (taken from Google blog):
- Showing a popup that covers the main content, either immediately after the user navigates to a page from the search results, or while they are looking through the page.
- Displaying a standalone interstitial that the user has to dismiss before accessing the main content.
- Using a layout where the above-the-fold portion of the page appears similar to a standalone interstitial, but the original content has been inlined underneath the fold.
By contrast, here are some examples of techniques that, used responsibly, would not be affected by the new signal:
- Interstitials that appear to be in response to a legal obligation, such as for cookie usage or for age verification.
- Login dialogs on sites where content is not publicly indexable. For example, this would include private content such as email or unindexable content that is behind a paywall.
- Banners that use a reasonable amount of screen space and are easily dismissible. For example, the app install banners provided by Safari and Chrome are examples of banners that use a reasonable amount of screen space.
At Omnisend we are always up to date and, one step ahead if possible, and we have taken all the necessary actions to assure all our clients that they will not have any problems by activating Omnisend Popups in their websites, as they will comply with all the requirements to be considered "non-intrusive". But going even further, we have implemented the option to manually disable the popups on mobile devices. You will be able to enable the Popups on your desktop and disable them from the mobile devices.
As you can see, there is nothing to worry about - we have taken care of everything so you can keep using Omnisend as you have been doing until now.