Migrate the contacts that you have collected in Mailchimp to Omnisend with ease as there's no need to export them first and import from file later. Built-in integration enables to skip the selection of attributes step.
Before you start
You can import the following fields from your Mailchimp contacts lists to Omnisend:
- Default fields (First name, Last name, Phone, Address line 1, City, State, Zip code, Country code). During the import these fields will be mapped with the fields in your Omnisend subscriber profile
- Stats (average open rate, average click rate). These fields will be added to the contacts profile as a custom property with a prefix mailchimp_[stats_name];
- VIP and all other tags - will be imported as a contact tag. Just note, spaces in name will be changed to underscore (_) symbol and any symbols we don't support, such as #$%^&* will be deleted. If we we already have the same tag name in the system, the system will automatically add numbering, ex: tag_1, tag_2; etc.
- Language property. It will be imported as custom property and it will be named "language" (without "mailchimp_" prefix).
Any other contact data additional to default properties and tags will be imported as Custom properties to Omnisend.
How it works
API key is all you need to transfer your subscribers from MailChimp to Omnisend.
1. Generate an API key in Mailchimp and copy it.
2. In your Omnisend account go to Audience > click Add Contacts > find Mailchimp and click Open wizard
3. Paste your API key and click Next.
4. Select the Mailchimp lists you would like to import > click Next
5. Add a Tag to tag the contacts you are importing > click Next
IMPORTANT: You will not be able to create a new list for your imported contacts, so add a Tag to mark your contacts and to create a segment with those contacts.
6. Mark Create a segment if you wish to automatically import all of those contacts into one segment (list). Click Import when you are finished with settings
That's it! You will be brought back to the imports tab where you will see the progress of your import. Click Report to see the detailed report on how many new and existing contacts have been added as well as how many good/bad emails/phone numbers were found.
Keep in mind that it might take some time to import all the contacts, as Mailchimp limits on how quickly we can pull your data from them.
Tagging your contacts
Use Tag to add a tag to all of the contacts you are about to import. Just type in the name of the tag > click Add as tag. You can add as many tags as you wish to your import. When you add a TAG, all of the contacts you are about to import will be tagged so you could filter and segment them in the future.
Creating a segment
Mark the checkbox Create a segment of imported contacts to automatically create a segment for your import.
IMPORTANT: You will not be able to create a new list, therefore all the imported contacts will be tagged automatically according to the type and date of the import. Two auto tags will be added:
- "imported via <manual_import_type> on <date_of_import>”
- "source: mailchimp import"
You can find the imported segment by navigating to Audience > Saved segments.
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.