Migrating to a new ESP may feel daunting and stressful, but you can ensure a smooth transition by following step-by-step instructions and our best practices. Unlike with other Email Providers, we have a built-in integration with MailChimp, that will help you migrate your data promptly.
In this article, we will go through all of the steps of the migration process. And more, we've also created Mailchimp Migration Resources Hub for Shopify merchants, check it out to find all news about migration, new Mailchimp feature requests we are releasing, feature comparisons with Mailchimp, or Klaviyo, and more.
Important! We do not recommend closing your MailChimp account before you transfer all of the data, re-create your automation workflows, and make sure everything works as intended.
You will need to take the following steps to migrate to Omnisend:
- Integrate your e-commerce platform with Omnisend
- Migrate your subscribers from Mailchimp to Omnisend
- Manage your Segments in Omnisend
- Migrate your email templates using HTML
- Replicate signup forms and automation workflows
Integration of E-commerce Platform
You need to integrate your store to start benefiting from Omnisend e-marketing features. We can integrate with the following platforms:
The easiest way to integrate your Shopify store with us is to download the Omnisend app in the Shopify app store and follow the instructions there. You will be redirected to the Omnisend app, asking you to create an account with Omnisend.
Note, only one store can be integrated with one Omnisend account.
Migrating Contacts from Mailchimp
Once you connect your store to Omnisend, all of the contacts, orders, products, carts, etc., are being imported to your Omnisend account. The synchronization time for each of the platforms is different and may take from 1 to 24 hours.
However, apart from the information synced from your store, we also need to transfer the data collected with MailChimp. Our built-in integration enables you to skip the selection of attributes.
You will need to take the following steps to import your subscribers:
- Generate an API key in your Mailchimp account.
- Go to Omnisend account > Audience > Add contacts
- Choose Mailchimp > paste the API key you generated > click Continue
- Send contacts to a list by using a tag or creating an automated segment
Or you can follow the steps at your own pace while reading Importing subscribers from Mailchimp article.
What is great, that you can import any custom data or tags you collected about your customers while using Mailchimp!
Don't forget to warm up your sender's reputation by sending your email campaigns to engaged users first. Warming up your reputation will provide a unique opportunity to monitor and optimize your entire email campaign.
Migrating Templates, Forms and Automation flows
It is simple to recreate the contents you used in Mailchimp. With our user-friendly tool you will be able to easily build your campaigns, signup forms, and automation workflows. Follow links to our Knowledgebase to learn more about different features we have and to find guides on how to set them up:
Recreating your contents will ensure that you have a responsive and well working setup on Omnisend.
Nevertheless, if you cannot dedicate time to recreate all the email templates and other contents you created in Mailchimp we have two options for you:
- You can export HTML codes of your email templates and signup forms from Mailchimp and create your emails using our HTML content block; create Custom HTML signup forms
- We can refer our partner to you, who can help you seamlessly migrate to Omnisend, just drop us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have completed all of the migration to Omnisend steps, you will be fully set to start benefiting from the Omnisend e-commerce tool. You will be able to use:
- Automation workflows to send Welcoming emails, Product abandonment, Abandoned cart, and a lot of other automation messages that will help you boost your sales.
- Unique omnichannel experience to reach a wider audience and to communicate to your customers via SMS, Push Notifications, and more.
- Manage your subscribers to send personalized targeted content by Segmenting your subscribers.
- Integrate with 3rd party apps, such as Smile, LoyaltyLion, Yotpo and more to use loyalty programs, shipping tracking, referral, and more.
- Connect multiple stores to your one Omnisend account, appoint different user roles to the users on your account.
If I add a contact to a list in Mailchimp, is it added to Omnisend? Yes, if you add a subscribed contact to your list, it will be automatically synced to Omnisend during the next periodic sync. Note, it's a one-way sync, contact added to Omnisend will not be synced to Mailchimp.
If I remove my subscribers in Mailchimp, are they removed from Omnisend? No, as long as you imported all of your subscribers from Mailchimp to Omnisend.
How often does Omnisend sync with Shopify orders? Orders sync with Omnisend in real-time.