Your contacts on Omnisend can subscribe to our different messaging channels - email, SMS, Push notification, etc. This means that subscription status for one contact in each of the channels may differ. For example, your contact may be unsubscribed from email channel, but still be subscribed to the SMS channel. In such case the contact will not show up under your email subscribers, but you will still see this contact when you filter out your SMS channel subscribers.
Read ahead to learn more about identifying contact statuses for different channels.
Each channel has three different statuses. Here is a brief explanation of each of the statuses your contact can have:
- Subscribed - a customer has opted-in for that channel and accepts your marketing. Feel free to send them your promotions via that channel.
- Non-subscribed - your clients' contact details have been recorded on your website during the purchase, but they have never subscribed to your newsletters. This means that you cannot send promotional communication to the non-subscribed clients.
- Unsubscribed - customers who used to be your subscribers, but unsubscribed from your marketing on that channel manually. By Global Email Marketing Law, you cannot send any communication to them.
Identifying subscription status
To see what channel your client is subscribed to, use filtering functionality in Audience tab > All contacts list.
In order to select only those contacts who are subscribed to one of your channels, click Create segment > select channel > select status is Subscribed:
To see the unsubscribed contacts for particular channels, use the same filtering functionality just choose the different status you need to filter.
Contact statuses after import
When you import your contacts from file or other service or we sync contacts from your store, they get a channel subscription status in Omnisend. Below you will find more details on what status your contacts will get:
- Contact's email is always imported as subscribed to email channel
- Contact's phone number is imported as non-subscribed to the SMS channel by default, but can be changed by adding a checkmark next to the Import phone numbers as subscribed to the SMS channel option.
Shopify order import
- Contact's email is imported as non-subscribed to email channel, if your contact did not check the box "Accept marketing messages". If the checkbox is marked, contacts will be imported as subscribed to email channel.
- Contact's phone number is imported as non-subscribed to SMS, unless you enable SMS Opt-in collection option in Omnisend.
Unsubscribing a contact
Your contacts can unsubscribe themselves by clicking the Unsubscribe link in the email footer or the sms message you sent out. In the email message, you can also add the option to Update their subscription preferences.
More, you have a possibility to check the unsubscribe reasons and filter the customers that unsubscribed due to a particular reason.
In Audience tab click Create segment > Email Unsubscribe reason is > Select reason from the drop-down list to see the full list:
In case a client reaches out to you and asks to remove him from the promotions list, here is how you can unsubscribe the contact in your account:
- Search for the contact in the All contacts list
- Mark the checkbox next to the contact you want to unsubscribe
- From the Actions box choose Unsubscribe
- Select the communication channel you are unsubscribing your contact from:
If you are an old time user of Omnisend, you might be used to a contact status Removed. This used to be a list of all contacts that you have deleted directly, but with a possibility to restore them any time.
This status is no longer available, but no worries, you are all covered!
- We have created a segment All non-removed contacts, so when you send communication to your customers, make sure you always use that segment to skip the removed contacts.
- Use Contact tags to mark your contacts as removed. Mark your contacts with a tag Removed from everywhere > use a rule Tag is not Removed from everywhere in any new segment you create with Omnisend.
- If you have any segments already created on Omnisend, we have automatically added a rule to all existing segments Tag is not Removed from everywhere.
Have any additional questions? Contact our support team.