In Omnisend, we believe that contacting your customers through the appropriate communication channel is as much important as sending the relevant data. In this article, we are going to explain how you can use the SMS channel to confirm transactions, inform about shipping, remind about abandoned carts, and more.
Before you start
- You need to have your contact's phone number in an international format: +11231234567 (+ country-code area-code phone-number)
- To start sending promotional newsletters via the SMS channel, you need to collect your customers' opt-ins for the SMS channel. If you want to send SMS messages to the US customers, you need to collect TCPA consents along with the opt-in records.
- Omnisend provides you with the phone numbers for the SMS messages sending.
- SMS channel is included in the Trial (limited amount), Pro and Enterprise plans; you can also purchase SMS credits as a subscription service. For SMS messages sending to US numbers, additional charges may apply. Find more information on SMS pricing here.
- Learn about SMS channel limitations for custom Sender's names
- You can either create a flow with the SMS channel only or with a combination of different channels.
Set-up of the Automation with SMS channel
The SMS message can be sent with any of the automation workflows available in Omnisend. Once you've chosen the workflow, you need to click on the EDIT WORKFLOW button and add an SMS message block to the sequence.
This block can be added to any stage of your sequence. While you might be interested in sending your Order Confirmation sequence immediately, you may want to give your customer some time before providing the discount code in the Abandoned Cart message.
When you add this block to the sequence, a red bar with Missing SMS information warning appears. It informs that you are not yet set fully, and you still need to add your sender's name and the content of the message.
Look through the limitations to the sender's name before you provide one.
At the end of the message you may want to add the opt-out instruction. Even though this option is optional, we encourage you to add it to the content of your texts.
To comply with the TCPA requirements, we suggest adding a reply STOP to opt-out text for the US customers. Once the customer replies with this message, an automatic message will be sent to that customer. Check this article for more information on TCPA compliant marketing.
Since the key-word replies are relevant for the US customers only, we suggest adding an Unsubscribe link for the rest of the recipients.
Important! This Unsubscribe link will ONLY unsubscribe the customers from the SMS, they will still receive the Automated emails if not Unsubscribed from them via the Unsubscribe link in the email.
In the Preview section you can see how this message will be shown for the US and non-US customers.
Important! Enable the "Pass non-opted-in contact to next workflow step" option, to ensure that non-subscribed customers for one channel go right away to the next channel in the flow.
When you are happy with the text, click SAVE and continue working on your workflow.
Feel free to add as many SMS messages to your workflow as you feel most appropriate.
Testing SMS in automation
It's the easiest to test SMS in automation via Welcome, Order Confirmation or Abandoned cart. Here is how:
- Add the SMS block in the workflow
- Change the delay to trigger immediately
- Make the action on your store - sign up to receive the welcome message, make a test order or abandon the cart (make sure to provide your phone number and opt-in permission)
- Wait for that SMS message to be delivered!
Cost of SMS
The prices are based on the country of the recipient and are available in Store settings > Billing > SMS pricing.
Add SMS credits to your account
All of the customers on the Pro or Enterprise plan will get SMS credits equivalent to the monthly or annual subscription plan payment. SMS credits can also be ordered as an additional service within your Standard, Pro or Enterprise subscription plan. The billing tiers for the SMS credits subscription start from $20.
Find more information on SMS pricing in this article.
Reports for SMS contain:
- Sent SMS. Subscribers that received SMS.
- Click rate. If you message contained a link you will see here how many of the customers clicked on it.
Important note: open rates are not tracked for SMS. Make sure you include a clickable link in your SMS messages to see how much action was initiated. Adding a link will let you see the click rates and measure client engagement via SMS channel.
Something is not working? Have a look at our Troubleshooting SMS channel article. If you have more questions or need any assistance, do not hesitate to contact our Support Team, which is available 24/7 and can be reached via In-app chat or email at email@example.com