With Omnisend SMS channel you can reach your customers on the go by sending automated text messages, promotions and campaigns. This article explains how you can communicate with your customers via text messages today.
Before you start
- SMS channel is already integrated into Omnisend campaigns and automation flows.
- You can collect phone number opt-in from your customers via signup forms or via the checkout on Shopify stores.
- To use SMS messages in campaigns or automation you need to add SMS credits to your account. They are included in the Trial (limited amount), Pro and Enterprise plans; you can also purchase SMS credits as a subscription service. For SMS messages sending to US numbers, additional charges may apply. Find more information on SMS pricing here.
Types of SMS messages
As well as with Emails Channel, you can send SMS messages on the following occasions:
- SMS Campaign or SMS Campaign for Non-openers for any promotion
- Welcome message
- Browse Abandonment
- Product Abandonment
- Abandoned Cart
- Order Confirmation
- Order Follow-up
- Cancellation Confirmation
- Customer Reactivation
- Birthday message
- Customer Feedback
- Custom message
- Shipping Confirmation
Your will be able to have:
1. Only SMS channel based workflow, as in the example image above;
2. Multi-channel workflow, where you can include email, SMS and any other channel to the flow. Important here is to enable the "Pass non-opted-in contact to next workflow step" option, to ensure that non-subscribed customers for one channel go right away to the next channel in the flow.
SMS message restrictions
- Currently we only support Standard SMS messages with no images in the message. MMS messages are not supported.
- Display of custom Sender's name depends on the recipients country. In case the sender's name is not supported in your selected country, our selected phone number will be displayed. Check here if the countries you are sending to support sender's name.
- We don't track open rates for SMS. To tack SMS engagement, add a clickable link to your store and track the click rate in our reports.
- Your clients will not be able to reply to your SMS messages. That's why adding a link will also help you communicate to your clients. You can add a link to a specific product, category, or a post. You should also add the unsubscribe link to allow your customers to opt-out any time.
- We always recommend to keep your SMS message short, less than 160 characters long. A standard SMS can contain up to 160 characters, depending on the symbols used. It's up to your recipients provider, but some carriers might not deliver the SMS message which is longer than 160 characters.
Important! Check the table below to see how special characters in your message, such as different alphabet, can affect the number of SMS you are charged for:
Benefiting from SMS marketing
SMS channel helps you communicate with your customers in the format they respond to the most and offer the possibility to receive promotions and order information directly through SMS.
You can use SMS channel solely to deliver critical and time-sensitive messages at every step of the customer journey, but when you combine it with email or other channels it helps you reach even more audience! Using more marketing channels to get your message to the right people helps you achieve better reach, higher click rates, thus get more sales.
Have any additional questions? Talk to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.