Providing your customers with a smooth, one-click option to unsubscribe from your marketing emails is an essential requirement that every merchant should follow. In Omnisend, we automatically add a link to the Unsubscribe page in the footer of your marketing emails.
Along with the one-click Unsubscribe page, you may also add a link to the Subscriber preference center, where your customers may choose the type of updates they prefer.
Before you start
- Unsubscribe link is added to promotional emails automatically, and hiding this link will result in your account suspension.
- Unsubscribe link is added to the footer of the email message, but can also be retrieved and added to any other place within the Email message content.
- Unsubscribing through the link in the Email message will unsubscribe the customer from the Email channel only. To unsubscribe from the SMS channel, the customer should opt-out via SMS message.
- Unsubscribe link is not added to the transactional emails, such as Order and Shipping Confirmation. For more information on the messages sending to the customers with different statuses, check this article.
- There are several ways how your customers may unsubscribe from your emails. Find more information about each of them here.
Unsubscribe instruction design
Unsubscribe instruction with the unsubscribe link is added to the Footer block in the promotional newsletters automatically. The position of the texts within the Footer block cannot be changed. You can only customize the wording for the Unsubscribe instruction.
You can also retrieve the link and find the placement anywhere within the Email message body. Jump to this section for more details.
By switching to the Settings tab, you may also change the color, size, line spacing, font, and alignment of the unsubscribe text and link. When choosing the design, make sure it stands out in the Email and provide the proper instruction to your customers. If you are using the black background for the email, it is better to use the light color for the text and vise versa.
The Unsubscribe page, your customers will see after clicking on the Unsubscribe link, has a short explanation, the email address of the customer, and call to action button. To unsubscribe, the customer should click on the Confirm button.
The next message informs about successful unsubscription:
Although it is not possible to change the style of the page, you can change the wording or translate it into a different language. To access these settings, you should click on the Settings step in the Editor or go to My Account -> Store settings -> Language & translations.
At the very end of the Language & translations page, you will see the Unsubscribe page text for both Email and SMS channels.
Change the Unsubscribe link position
According to the CAN-SPAM Act:
Your message must include a clear and conspicuous explanation of how the
recipient can opt out of getting email from you in the future. Craft the
notice in a way that’s easy for an ordinary person to recognize, read, and
understand. Creative use of type size, color, and location can improve
One of the most common ways to present the opt-out instruction to your customers is to place it to the footer of your emails. However, you may change the placement of the link if the opt-out process stays transparent and intuitive.
You can add the Unsubscribe link to the text or the Button by selecting it from the Personalization menu.
💬 Learn more about the Personalization options in the corresponding article.
Have any additional questions? Reach out to our Support Team via in-app chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org.