We also understand that your customers may not want to unsubscribe from your emails explicitly, but from some of the updates only. Therefore, along with the Unsubscribe link, we also provide a link to the Subscriber preference center, where your customers may choose what type of updates they would be interested in.
Before you start
- Unsubscribe link is added to promotional emails automatically, and hiding this link will result in your account suspension.
- Unsubscribe link is placed to the footer of the Email message, and cannot be retrieved or added to any other block.
- Unsubscribing through the link in the Email message will unsubscribe the customer from the Email channel only. To unsubscribe from the SMS channel, the customer should opt-out via SMS message.
- Unsubscribe link is not added to the transactional emails, such as Order and Shipping Confirmation.
As you may see from the table, transactional emails are delivered despite the customers' statuses. If you want to change the settings for some of the flows, you may add a cancellation trigger based on the customer status.
Unsubscribe instruction design
Unsubscribe instruction with the unsubscribe link is added to the Footer block in the non-promotional newsletters automatically. It is not possible to change the position of the texts within the Footer block. You can only change the wording for the Unsubscribe instruction.
By switching to the Settings tab, you may also change the color, size, line spacing, font, and alignment of the unsubscribe text and link. When choosing the design, make sure they stand out in the Email and provide the proper instruction to your customers. If you are using the black background for the email, it is better to use the light color for the text and vise versa.
The Unsubscribe page, your customers will see after clicking on the Unsubscribe link, has a short explanation, the email address of the customer, and call to action button. To unsubscribe, the customer should click on the Confirm button.
The next message informs about successful unsubscription:
Although it is not possible to change the style of the page, you can change the wording or translate it into a different language. To access these settings, you should click on the Settings step in the Editor or go to My Account -> Store settings -> Language & translations.
At the very end of the Language & translations page, you will see the Unsubscribe page text for both Email and SMS channels.
After your customer clicks on the Unsubscribe link in the Email message, his subscription status for the Email Channel will change to unsubscribed. To unsubscribe from the SMS channel, he needs to click on the Unsubscribe link within the SMS message.
In the customer profile, you can also check the date when his subscription status changed to unsubscribed and what was the reason for it.
Note, the information you see in the profile provides the reason and the date of the last opt-out. If your customer subscribed again, the opt-in time would be later than the opt-out one, and the customer will be subscribed to your newsletters.
To check aggregated data, you may create a Segment of the customers having unsubscribed status.
Just like with the information in your customer profile, the Segment is based on the last opt-out reason. In other words, your customer may be subscribed to the SMS channel but have opt-out reason listed.
Apart from creating a Segment of the unsubscribed contacts, you may filter your customers based on the unsubscription reason. The list of the reasons for the Email channels includes:
- Unsubscribed via link in marketing message, when the customer unsubscribes on the Unsubscribe page.
- Unsubscribed by user action, when Omnisend account user unsubscribes the customer.
- Unsubscribed via API request, when the status of the customer is changed with the API request.
- Unsubscribed via file import, when the import file contains the opt-out date field for the contact that is later than the opt-in one.
- Unsubscribed via preference management link, when the customer un-checks Subscribe to marketing campaigns via email option within the Preference management page.
- Unsubscribed on your website, when the customer status changes to unsubscribed one in your store admin.
- Unsubscribed due to changes in pricing, due to the changes in Omnisend pricing, customers having Removed status (legacy) were unsubscribed.
- Bounced, when the customer's email address is reported as undeliverable.
- Reported spam, when the customer reports your emails as spam.
- Unknown, any reason other than those listed above.
If you have any inactive (unengaged) contacts in your account, it is recommended to change their status to unsubscribe instead of deleting. Unsubscribed contacts will never receive any emails from you, they won't have any impact on pricing and will keep the information about your customers, unsubscription reason and more.
⚠️ To restore accidentally unsubscribed contacts, the file with your contacts import should contain the opt-out date later than the opt-in one.
Have any additional questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.