Same as with email permissions, you need to get your contacts' opt-in for promotional content on other marketing channels, such as SMS. Your clients have a right to choose to receive your promotions via email and/or SMS, and/or any other channel you use, but at the same time they have a possibility to unsubscribe from a particular channel any time. Follow this link to learn more about the different contact statuses in Omnisend.
So, before you send your first SMS campaign, make sure your contacts gave you permission to receive SMS marketing from you.
Ways to collect SMS opt-in
- Via Omnisend signup forms.
To collect SMS opt-in via the Omnisend signup forms, follow this link and learn what different types of singup forms Omnisend has to offer and how you can easily enable the consent collection for SMS channel using any type of form.
2. Ask your existing customers to update their preferences via Subscriber preference center
3. Use checkout opt-in for Shopify stores
Continue reading this article to learn how to collect SMS opt-in via the Shopify checkout!
Before you begin
- SMS opt-in collection at the checkout is available for Shopify stores only
- The feature is available for all Omnisend pricing plans
- SMS opt-in feature can be enabled by Owner, Admin and Manager user roles on Omnisend.
- For Omnisend to start collecting phone numbers as subscribed for text messages you will need to make changes to your store's checkout and to enable this feature in Omnisend.
- Shopify’s “Email marketing” consent at the checkout will impact Email SMS subscription. This means that if SMS opt-in feature is enabled and your clients mark the consent checkbox at the checkout to receive offers from Omnisend, they will subscribe to both, email and SMS marketing.
- We will collect phone numbers from the shipping page too. By default Omnisend is importing phone numbers from contact or billing information on Shopify. When SMS opt-in feature is enabled, we will import phone numbers from the shipping address page as well, if that information is not available in contact information.
- We will collect phone numbers from the Abandoned cart checkout as well, if you have Abandoned cart automation enabled in your Omnisend account.
The priority of importing phone number as a Contact’s phone number from Shopify is the following:
- Contact information - we will look for the phone number here first.
- Shipping information - when SMS consent collection feature is enabled, otherwise we will skip it.
- Billing information
Changes in Shopify Checkout
To be TCPA and CTIA compliant and to send text marketing messages to customers in USA and Canada, here is what you need to change in your store settings:
- Get customer consent
- Enable users to enter their mobile phones and change its label
- Configure checkout footer
We still encourage you to consult a legal advisor familiar with TCPA before using SMS marketing. In addition to that we advise you to always include the unsubscribe link to your text message campaigns and automation.
1. Get customer consent
1. Open your Shopify Settings > Checkout
2. Scroll down to the “Email marketing” section > select to show a sign-up option at checkout > click SAVE
3. Scroll down to the “Checkout language” section > click Manage checkout language
4. Filter “Checkout Marketing” to find the Accept marketing checkbox label > paste the following text:
Keep me up to date on news and exclusive offers via email and text messages*
5. Confirm the changes by clicking SAVE.
2. Enable users to enter their mobile phones and change its label
1. Go to Settings > Checkout > change “Shipping address phone number" to be optional
2. Scroll down to the “Checkout language” section > click Manage checkout language
3. Filter “Phone label” > find “Phone label” and “Optional phone label” > paste the following text:
Mobile phone number for news and exclusive offers
4. Confirm the changes by clicking SAVE.
1. Go to Settings > Legal
3. Once done, confirm the changes by clicking SAVE.
4. Configure checkout footer
1. Go to Online Store > Themes > click Actions > click Edit language
3. Confirm the changes by clicking SAVE.
Enabling SMS opt-in on Omnisend
1. Go to Store Settings > Settings > click Collect SMS consent
2. Make sure you have completed all the needed Changes to Shopify Checkout. Confirm that you have made the changes by marking the checkbox
Congratulations, you can now start collecting consent for SMS from your clients via the Shopify checkout!
When the store changes are completed successfully and SMS opt-in feature on Omnisend is enabled, here is what you will see in your Shopify checkout:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach our to our Support team!