SMS in Campaigns allows you to reach your customers in a fast and effective way even when access to email and internet is limited so your clients won't miss any of your promotions.
Before you start
- You need to have your contact's phone number in an international format: +11231234567 (+ country-code area-code phone-number)
- You need to have contacts subscribed to SMS channel. If you want to send SMS messages to the US customers, you need to collect TCPA consents along with the opt-in records.
- You do not have to use your own phone number to send SMS campaigns via Omnisend.
- Learn about SMS channel limitations for sender's names.
- SMS channel is included in the Trial (limited amount), Pro and Enterprise plans; you can also purchase SMS credits as a subscription service (on the paid plans). For SMS messages sending to US numbers, additional charges may apply.
- Add a link to your website to track the click rates for your SMS campaigns. Note, we shorten your URLs on SMS, this article explains how and why we do that.
- To send an SMS campaign go to Campaigns > New Campaign > SMS Campaign.
2. Once you click on Create this campaign, you will be brought to the SMS Campaign editor, where you set the message, add campaign name, sender's name, the text of your SMS, and opt-out instruction.
3. We are adding two different options for the customers to unsubscribe from your SMS marketing, Reply Stop to unsubscribe for US and Unsubscribe link for all non-US customers.
Even though adding the Unsubscribe link is optional, we highly encourage you to add it to the content of your SMS Campaign. SMS marketing is more sensitive compared to the Email one. The customer can't choose when he wants to check the message, and it is almost impossible to ignore it. If you want to avoid receiving spam reports or complaints from your customers, you should allow them to unsubscribe from your marketing.
When it comes to the SMS messages sending to the US customers, adding the Unsubscribe option to the marketing SMS is mandatory. When a customer replies with STOP keywords, Omnisend should respond and update your opt-in list. Therefore we provide you with the opportunity to include different opt-out instructions for the US and non-US customers. Check this article for more information on TCPA compliant marketing.
Since the key-word replies are relevant for the US customers only, we suggest adding a reply STOP to opt-out text for the US and Unsubscribe link for the rest of the recipients.
In the Preview section, you will see how both of the messages will look.
Important! Unsubscribing from the SMS message will ONLY unsubscribe the customers from the SMS channel; they will still receive the email campaigns if they don't unsubscribe from them via the Unsubscribe link in the email.
4. If you have enough credits you will have the option to send a test SMS. You can send a test SMS to any mobile phone number. Test SMS is priced the same as a regular SMS message, check SMS pricing here.
If you don't have enough SMS credits, you will need to re-fill them. All of the customers on the Pro or Enterprise plan will get SMS credits equivalent to the monthly or annual subscription plan payment. These credits can also be ordered as an additional service within your Standard, Pro or Enterprise subscription plan. The billing tiers for the SMS credits subscription start from $20.
Find more information on SMS pricing in this article.
Important note: SMS credits credits should not be mixed up with your monthly email credits limit.
5. Once you have the required number of ad credits and you are happy with the message, click Next step to select the recipients. You can send to all SMS subscribers or subscribers belonging to a particular segment.
6. After you select your recipients you will get the price estimation for the total SMS campaign.
If you need to send SMS messages to US numbers, on the Price Estimation stage of the SMS campaign, you will see the price for all non-US and US customers calculated separately. The final amount will include the cost for the SMS messages sending to non-US customers, to US customers, and the daily limit increase (if needed).
Find more information on the SMS pricing for the US customers here.
7. Review your SMS campaign and send it our, either immediately or schedule it for later.
You are all set! In the reports, as for any campaign sent, you will have the statistics of your SMS campaign.
Reports for SMS campaigns contain:
- SMS Sent. Subscribers that were in the chosen segments.
- Click rate. If you message contained any link you will see here how many of the recipients clicked on it.
- Sales. If your customer placed an order after clicking on a link in SMS, you will see the tracked sales.
Important note: open rate cannot be tracked in SMS campaigns. Make sure you include a clickable link in your SMS messages to see how much action was initiated. Adding a link will let you see the click rates and measure client engagement via SMS channel.
Something is not working? Have a look at our Troubleshooting SMS channel article. If you have more questions or need any assistance, do not hesitate to contact our Support Team, which is available 24/7 and can be reached via In-app chat or email at firstname.lastname@example.org