Have you run into some trouble sending messages via SMS channel in Campaigns or Automation? Continue reading this article to learn more about the most common troubleshooting scenarios with the SMS channel.
Sender's name not showing
SMS message not received by your contact
Subscribers' country is not recognized
SMS messages are sent to contacts unsubscribed from email
Emojis and special characters not showing
Phone number not collected from Abandoned cart on Shopify
⚠️ Sender's name not showing
There are certain restrictions to the sender's name based on the country you are sending the message to, i.e. US, Canada, and some other countries do not support custom sender's names. If you set the sender's name and it is not showing, there is a huge possibility that the country you are sending to does not allow the sender's name to be modified.
Follow this link to find the full list of countries that support and don't support the sender's name. In case the sender's name is not supported in your selected country, our selected phone number will be displayed. Make sure you check the country restriction and add your company name into the content if the selected country is not allowing custom sender's names.
⚠️ SMS message not received by your contact
You have created and sent out a campaign or maybe added the SMS block in one of your automation flows, but your contacts are not receiving messages? There are several things that you can check:
1. Contact's profile. The first thing you should check is the Contact's profile page in your Omnisend account. Check, if a valid phone number is displayed on the profile:
- It does not contain any parenthesis and dashes (e.g., XXX XXX XXXX).
- Country code is included (i.e +1 for US). By the way, Omnisend will add country code automatically based on your contact's country logged on the profile.
2. SMS channel subscription status. Your contact might have a valid phone number provided, but he might not be subscribed to receive messages via the SMS channel. We only send campaigns and non-transactional automation messages to subscribed contacts.
3. Settings in automation. When creating an automation with several blocks - we strongly recommend to always enable the option "Pass non-opted-in contact to next workflow step" in every single block. Enabling this option would mean that if your contact is not subscribed to the message channel in one block, he will automatically be moved to another channel in your flow. As per example below, if my contact is not subscribed to SMS, he will receive the email message if his subscription status for email is Subscribed.
4. SMS message length. Mobile operators might block your message if it is too long. This depends entirely on the carrier your contact is using. The allowed length of the text message depends on operator's inner settings, but we strongly recommend the length to be 1 message, 2 messages at most. Since there are different opt-out requirements for the US and non-US customers, the length of the messages might be different. You can always check the length of the message for both US and non-US customers in the Preview section:
⚠️ Subscribers' country is not recognized
It is essential to add your contacts' phone numbers in the international format. If you upload them without country-codes, the system may recognize them as those that belong to another country and won't send the message to your clients. You don't need to worry about newly connected customers, as we automatically assign the country codes to those that subscribe at the check-out and have the country-code preset to all of the sign-up forms.
This problem may only arise with manually added contacts, and in that case, you'll see some unexpected countries listed in the Price estimation step of your SMS Campaign sending.
The solution is pretty straight and forward. You need to export your contacts to Excel, add a country code to the phone numbers, and upload them back to Omnisend. You may find some tips for a quick solution to this problem here.
Note, you don't need to delete the contacts before uploading the updated data. We will only update the information according to your latest import.
⚠️ SMS messages are sent to contacts that unsubscribed from email promotions
If you wish to send your SMS campaign to the contacts that are subscribed to both, SMS and email channels, here is what you need to do:
- Go to Audience tab > click Create segment
- Create a segment with rules SMS channel status is subscribed AND email channel status is subscribed > Save segment
3. Use that segment to send your SMS promotions.
⚠️ Emojis and special characters not showing
- We do not support emojis, as they are also not supported by our service provider that sends the message out. If you are able to copy paste the emoji from the web, it will be automatically cleaned by the service provider.
- We allow using accents in your text messages, however as soon as the message leaves Omnisend, it is filtered and cleaned by the service provider and later, by the local operators that deliver the message.
Note, service providers and local operators have their restrictions which we cannot control, therefore our recommendation is not to use special characters and emojis in your text messages.
⚠️ Phone number not collected from Abandoned cart on Shopify
Shopify users can enable SMS opt-in collection at the checkout on their stores. If you enabled this option in both, your store and in your Omnisend account, you contacts will get a possibility to opt in to SMS channel promotions.
If you notice that phone numbers are not being captured from Abandoned cart checkout, check if you have Abandoned cart automation enabled in your Omnisend account. Once you enable the Abandoned cart flow, the phone numbers will be captured for the future abandoned carts.
Need more help? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org, we are available 24/7 and can be reached via In-app chat or email.