Facebook Custom Audiences is an ad targeting option that lets you find people who already know your business on Facebook. You can use sources like customer lists, engagement on Facebook or website or app traffic to create Custom Audiences.
Omnisend allows you to connect your Facebook account and sync your contact segments to your Custom Audiences. This allows you to easily set accurate and targeted ads.
Before you start
- To access the features of this integration, you’ll need an active Facebook account that manages at least one Facebook Page. This integration doesn’t add a signup form or post to your personal Facebook profile.
- Have your Facebook Ads Manager connected to Facebook Business Manager
- When you set up the integration, you must approve each of the Facebook’s permission requests.
- You can also connect your Facebook account to Omnisend to create Facebook and Instagram ad campaigns. The connection process is the same as for Facebook.
- Available on Trial, Pro and Enterprise plan
Connecting the app
1. Go to Connected Apps or Store settings > Connected Apps > Connect new App.
2. Choose Facebook Custom Audiences from the list and click Connect.
3. Authorize the access to your Facebook account. We need this permission to be able to push the chosen segments to your Facebook Custom Audiences. Click Authorize access to proceed.
4. You will be brought to Facebook app and asked to provide Omnisend with your name and profile picture. Click Continue as (your profile name) to proceed.
5. Make sure all options are enabled > click Done:
Once you submit all information and authorize the access, you will be brought back to Omnisend app to select the account you wish to use. As soon as you are done, your Facebook Custom Audiences app will show up as connected in Omnisend.
Connection process is now done and you can start syncing your segments!
How do we sync data?
Once you have connected your Omnisend and Facebook Custom Audiences accounts you just need to create a segment on Omnisend and synchronize it with your Facebook Custom Audiences. We will push data through our API to Facebook, then Facebook will take that data and sync your Facebook customer profiles.
Important note: to sync the profile, the subscriber on Facebook has to be logged in with the same email address as he/she is subscribed to your email campaigns on Omnisend. I.E. subscriber's email on Omnisend is email@example.com and the email address used to log into their Facebook account is the same, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Usually, data sync from Omnisend to Facebook takes 5-15 minutes, but it also depends on the number of contacts you have and sometimes can take longer to sync (due to the IP calls limits we push the data in batches).
What segments to create?
If you wish to re-target your customers via Facebook audiences, you can create the segment as below with rules Order placed is at least 1 and Order date is in the last 360 days:
Learn more about creating different contact segments here.
Once you have your segment ready, choose Sync segment to Facebook and choose which contacts statuses to sync:
What is great, is that your segment will start the initial sync and will update automatically whenever there are new contacts on it.
And that is it! You can now start showing targeted ads to that specific group of contacts within Facebook and Instagram.
Can I sync only subscribed contacts to Facebook?
Facebook Custom Audiences can be used to sync any status of your contact. You can simply choose which status (subscribed, unsubscribed or non-subscribed) should be included while creating a new customer audience and that will be synced to your Facebook account. When you click on Sync segment to Facebook, a pop up will let you choose what contact statuses you wish to sync.
How long does it take to sync contacts to Facebook?
Data sync from Omnisend to Facebook takes 5-15 minutes in most of the cases. However, sync time also depends on the number of contacts you have and can take longer. Due to the IP calls limits we push the data in batches, so if you are syncing a huge list, wait a little bit longer for your sync to complete.
⚠️ Facebook custom audiences sync status is disabled
- Check if Facebook lists you are trying to sync to Omnisend segments can still be accessed. This can occur, if your Facebook lists are no longer available on Facebook, i.e. deleted.
- Check if the Facebook list you are trying to sync is accessible for Omnisend segment sync.
- Check if user roles and permissions have not been changed. This can occur if your user no longer has access to the provided list.
⚠️ The number of contacts synced looks too low
We will help you resolve this, please take the following steps and reach out to email@example.com:
- Export the segment from Omnisend, the one you're willing to sync with FB custom audiences;
- Manually import the exported contacts to your Facebook Audiences;
- Take a screenshot of how many contacts were synced.