Facebook Custom Audiences is an ad targeting option that lets you find people who already know your business on Facebook. You can use the information about your customers' shopping behavior, engagement with your email, and any other data you have collected with Omnisend to build a Custom Audience and target your adds on Facebook.
You will also benefit from the dynamic synchronization of your contacts. As soon as the customer, satisfy the rule in your Segment settings, your Facebook Audience will populate with a new contact.
Note! Contacts that are on Facebook already won't be removed if they won't fit the rule in the Omnisend segment anymore.
Before you start
- To access the features of this integration, you’ll need an active Facebook account that manages at least one Facebook Page. This integration doesn’t add a signup form or post to your personal Facebook profile.
- Have your Facebook Ads Manager connected to Facebook Business Manager
- When you set up the integration, you must approve each of Facebook’s permission requests.
- You can also connect your Facebook account to Omnisend to create Facebook and Instagram ad campaigns. The connection process is the same as for Facebook.
- Available on Trial, Pro and Enterprise plan
Connecting the app
1. Go to Connected Apps or Store settings > Connected Apps > Connect new App.
2. Choose Facebook Custom Audiences from the list and click Connect.
3. Authorize access to your Facebook account. We need this permission to be able to push the chosen segments to your Facebook Custom Audiences. Click Authorize access to proceed.
4. You will be brought to the Facebook app and asked to provide Omnisend with your name and profile picture. Click Continue as (your profile name) to proceed.
5. Make sure all options are enabled > click Done:
Once you submit all information and authorize the access, you will be brought back to the Omnisend app to select the account you wish to use. As soon as you are done, your Facebook Custom Audiences app will show up as connected in Omnisend.
The connection process is complete and you can start syncing your segments!
Once you have connected your Omnisend and Facebook Custom Audiences accounts you just need to create a segment on Omnisend and synchronize it with your Facebook Custom Audiences. We will push data through our API to Facebook, then Facebook will take that data and sync your Facebook customer profiles.
Important note: to sync customers' profiles to Facebook, they should be logged in with the same email address as the one they provided to Omnisend. I.E., subscriber's email on Omnisend is firstname.lastname@example.org, and the email address used to log into their Facebook account is the same, email@example.com.
Usually, data sync from Omnisend to Facebook takes 5-15 minutes, but it also depends on the number of contacts you have and sometimes can take longer to sync (due to the IP calls limits, as we push data in batches).
What segments to create?
In Omnisend, we always emphasize on the importance of the multi-channel approach to your customers. The more your customers hear about your brand, the higher your chances of converting them to buyers.
In Omnisend, you may set-up a variety of different Segments that could help you target your ads more precisely.
- Segment contacts based on their profile data. The information collected by Omnisend may tell you more about your customers, including their addresses, birthdate, custom information you have collected with Omnisend.
- Segment contacts based on their engagement with your emails. If your customer doesn't engage with the email messages you send, it might be a perfect time to attract their attention with Facebook ads. You may target customers that were active recently or those that didn't engage in a while. You may even check what type of messages your customers engage with.
- Segment contacts based on their purchase behavior. This type of Segmentation will give you the power of targeting your ads to your VIP clients those that purchase frequently or those that spent a certain amount in your store.
Let's try to set-up a Segment using a combination for the re-engagement Facebook Campaign.
Learn more about creating different contact segments here.
Once you have your segment ready, choose Sync segment to Facebook and choose which contacts statuses to sync:
The Segment will be synced to your Facebook account and update automatically. In case your customer places the order, he will be removed from the inactive contacts Segment.
After the audience is synced to your Facebook Business account, you may choose your Instagram Business Profile and run your targeted ads on both Facebook and Instagram.
Create a Custom Audience on Facebook
Once you sync the audience to Facebook, it will automatically appear in the Audiences section of your Facebook Ads Manager.
After you review your Audience, you can create an ad to reach your new Custom Audience, or create a lookalike audience to find new people who share similar behaviors and interests with your existing customers.
Can I sync only subscribed contacts to Facebook?
Facebook Custom Audiences can be used to sync any status of your contact. You can simply choose which status (subscribed, unsubscribed, or non-subscribed) should be included while creating a new custom audience and that will be synced to your Facebook account. When you click on Sync segment to Facebook, a pop up will let you choose what contact statuses you wish to sync.
How long does it take to sync contacts to Facebook?
Data sync from Omnisend to Facebook takes 5-15 minutes in most of the cases. However, sync time also depends on the number of contacts you have and can take longer. Due to the IP calls limits we push the data in batches, so if you are syncing a huge list, wait a little bit longer for your sync to complete.
Is it possible to export the audience in a way that Facebook can read it? Before uploading the list you have exported from Omnisend to Facebook, you need to change the column formatting, so it matches the identifier type that Facebook accepts. You will also need to change some of the data to make sure it has the proper format. See the detailed instruction here.
Is it possible to connect my Facebook Lead Ads to Omnisend? Unfortunately, it is not possible. Nevertheless, you may use Omnisend's built-in solution to add a sign-up form to your Facebook page and sync your contacts to your Omnisend account.
⚠️ Facebook custom audiences sync status is disabled
- Check if Facebook lists you are trying to sync to Omnisend segments can still be accessed. This can occur, if your Facebook lists are no longer available on Facebook, i.e. deleted.
- Check if the Facebook list you are trying to sync is accessible for Omnisend segment sync.
- Check if user roles and permissions have not been changed. This can occur if your user no longer has access to the provided list.
⚠️ The number of contacts synced looks too low
We will help you resolve this, please take the following steps and reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Export the segment from Omnisend, the one you're willing to sync with FB custom audiences;
- Manually import the exported contacts to your Facebook Audiences;
- Take a screenshot of how many contacts were synced.