Almost all contacts added to your Omnisend account are getting a source tag assigned to their profiles. This tag identifies the source from which these contacts where added. However, there are different types of source tags, and in some situations, they might not be added at all.
Let's dive deeper into this topic and find out when and what source tags are assigned to your contacts.
Automatically assigned tags
First of all, let's get a list of all tags created automatically:
- source: <store platform> (ex: source: shopify, source: bigcommerce, source: api, etc.) is assigned when the contact is synced from the store platform. For example, when the customer placed an order, abandoned a cart, created an account, subscribed to the not-integrated signup form, or was added manually.
- source: signup form is assigned when the contact subscribes to the signup form created or integrated with Omnisend.
- source: manual import is assigned when the contact is imported from the file or added manually.
- source: mailchimp is assigned when contacts from MailChimp are transferred to Omnisend through the API key.
- source: <3rd party platform> (source: justuno, source: privy, etc.) is assigned when a third party application assigns the tag to the contacts passed to Omnisend.
- imported from file on DD/MM/YY HH:MM:SS is assigned automatically along with the source: manual import tag when you import your contacts from the file.
- imported from mailchimp on DD/MM/YY HH:MM:SS is assigned automatically along with the source: mailchimp tag when you import contacts using the API key.
Some of the tags may be integration specific. For example, we are passing intercom: <tag_name> instead of the source tag to identify contacts transferred from Intercom. In addition, some of the applications let you change the tag to any value. As a result, you can get tags describing the source more precisely, for example, justuno: 10%off popup.
⚠️ If 3rd party application integrated with Omnisend is passing contacts without any tag assigned, you may find some untagged contacts in your list.
Manually assigned tags
There are quite a few ways to add tags to your contacts' profiles. Along with the automated tags giving you a general understanding of the source of the contact, you may also assign custom tags that will help you categorize your contacts more precisely.
💡 For example, you may add a tag with the name of the form or with the discount offered: source: popup form - free shipping.
Find detailed instructions on the tags assignment.
Segmenting contacts based on the import source
Once you've got the source or other identification tags assigned to your contacts, you may use them to Segment your contacts based on the acquisition source.
As a result, you may get a couple of different Segments:
After you adjust your sign-up forms and automations settings, the tags will be assigned automatically. To make your account clearer, we would recommend using more tags but limit the number of Segments to those you are using.
Have any questions? Reach out to our Support Team via in-app chat or at email@example.com.