Integrating Shopify or Shopify Plus with Omnisend will allow you to establish an effective omnichannel marketing strategy directly from your Shopify store.
Read further to learn more about Shopify integration with Omnisend!
You can start from the video recording or look through the instructions provided below.
Before you start
To be able to integrate a Shopify store with Omnisend you will need:
- An account with Omnisend
- An active store on Shopify that is not currently linked to any Omnisend account
There are two ways to connect your store to Omnisend. You can add Omnisend from Shopify Market place and register your Omnisend account from Shopify admin or create an account in Omnisend and connect your store from your Omnisend admin. We recommend using the first option. If your store is on the custom domain (not myshopify.com), that would be the only possible solution.
Register Omnisend account through Shopify
- In your Shopify store go to Apps -> find Omnisend Email Marketing & SMS app on the list > click Add app.
2. Review the details and click Install app.
3. If you don't have an account with Omnisend yet, you will be asked to create the account - a detailed step-by-step guide here.
Connect Shopify store through Omnisend account
- Go to Omnisend official website -> click on the Start Free Trial button.
- Create the account in Omnisend by following the step-by-step guide here.
- On the last stage of your Omnisend account set-up, you need to click on the Connect Store option and enter your Shopify URL to the Input field.
Important! If you change your store domain to the custom one, you still need to use your xxxx.myshopify.com URL when connecting the store to Omnisend.
And that's it, once you create an Omnisend account or connect your Shopify store, you will be brought to the Let's get started page on Omnisend, where you will be guided through automation, campaigns and signup forms setup!
In case you already have an account with Omnisend and just need to connect your Shopify store, follow this guide to connect the store to your account.
Shopify Pos orders
All orders submitted via Shopify POS will be tagged as “pos: [pos name]“.
- Create a segment for contacts that have made an order via Shopify POS and send special promotions based on that. Just create a segment with the rule “Placed order” > add a filter “Order tag” is “pos: [pos name]“. Note, to be able to create this segment, you should have at least one order with “pos: [pos name]“ tag.
- Send different order confirmation emails to Shopify POS orders by creating two separate workflows or splitting your primary workflow with a branch for orders with a workflow trigger “Order tag” is/is not “pos: [pos name]“.
- Avoid triggering and sending a shipping confirmation email to clients that have made orders via Shopify POS. Just add a trigger rule “Order tag” is not “pos: [pos name]“ to your automation workflow.
After you complete the integration with Shopify, Omnisend starts syncing all historical data from your store. The information passed to Omnisend includes your contacts, products, and orders. The initial synchronization may take up to a few hours, but we recommend waiting for 24 hours.
Later on, time-sensitive data is passed instantly or within 3 minutes.
* if you are not using any automation with a certain event in the trigger, customers' info and orders data are passed to Omnisend within 1-hour sync.
The contacts synced to Omnisend can have different subscription statuses: subscribed, non-subscribed. Only those contacts that provided explicit consent to receive your marketing materials are added to Omnisend with subscribed to email channel status. Find more information on the contacts synchronization.
Omnisend doesn't replace any of the automatic responses you have in your store. If you wish to replace them, you need to disable automations sent by Shopify and enable them in Omnisend.
Disabling the Abandoned Cart workflow
In your Shopify admin, go to Settings -> Checkout -> scroll down to Abandoned checkouts sections. Uncheck the check-box next to the Automatically send abandoned checkout emails option.
Testing orders related workflows
After you set-up the automation workflows in your Omnisend account, you may also want to check how they perform. The most straight and forward way to do that is to trigger them in your store. While testing, make sure to:
- adjust the delay to trigger the workflow Immediately;
- use the Incognito window of your browser;
- use different email addresses, as some of the flows, Abandoned Cart, in particular, can be triggered only once per day unless you adjust Frequency in the automation trigger settings.
Tip: if you add +something to your email address, it will be treated by the system as a new email address, but the email message will be sent to your inbox. Example: firstname.lastname@example.org -> email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, etc.
Now, let's check how placing the test order would look in your Shopify admin:
1. Go to your Shopify admin -> Orders section -> click on the Create order button.
2. On the Create order page, you will need to proceed with 3 main steps: add a customer, add products, click on the Mark as paid button.
That’s it, the order is added to the admin panel and the default Order Confirmation will be triggered 🤩
If you need to change the status of the order to test automation workflows with different statuses you may find those in the Order page. By clicking on the Mark as Fulfilled, you can trigger Shipping Confirmation automation. Here you may also find the option to change the status to Canceled or Refund.
Integration with Shopify Newsletter signup form
All available Omnisend integrations with e-commerce platforms and 3rd party apps
Have any questions? Reach out to our Customer Support Team!