With Omnisend you can create static segments, that would help you organize your contacts into lists or dynamic segments - segments that will automatically update over time, depending on the rules you have preset.
Read this article to learn more about creating different segments with Omnisend, based on the information about your contact: interests, consumption habits, demographics, email opening rates, etc.
Before You Start
- Allows you to work with all your contacts (subscribed, non-subscribed, unsubscribed). This way you can see how many contacts with different statuses match your rules and act accordingly. Note, your communication can only be sent to those, who accept such correspondence.
- The scope of data you can segment might depend on the type of integration and your ecommerce platform. If your ecommerce platform does not provide us with some data or your integration does not yet support it, you would not be able to segment your customers based on those particular criteria.
- Available on all plans with all filtering options
With segmentation on the fly functionality we offer an extensive range of segmenting options and you can create a segment based on 3 rule sets (along with lots of their filters):
- Shopping behaviour (product activity and order activity)
- Email campaign activity
- Contact properties
1. Shopping behaviour
Shopping behavior rule allows you to segment by order or purchased product activity and contains multiple options:
- Placed order
- Purchased product
- Not purchased product
- Purchased from category
- Not purchased from category
Choosing either of options opens additional filtering options by date, type, quantity, etc.
2. Email campaign activity
Email campaign activity filters allow you to add rules based on the subscriber activity with your email campaigns. These filters include:
- Been sent email campaign
- Not been sent email campaign
- Opened email campaign
- Not opened email campaign
- Clicked email campaign link (allows you to enter a particular link)
- Not clicked email campaign link (allows you to enter a particular link)
3. Contact properties
This filter allows you to use all collected descriptive data as a rule for your segment. This descriptive data usually comes with order info from your store, can be collected via Omnisend or third party signup forms or manually imported. Filter contains:
- Consent (whether contact has provided consent to be contacted or not)
- Created (date, when contact was first created; might be different from opt-in date)
- Email opt-in (date, when contact subscribed to email channel)
- Email (email address)
- First name
- Last name
- Gender (if collected)
- Postal code
- Tags (all tags that you have added on Omnisend or have been imported from your store)
- Custom property (any custom property you have added to the customer; read more on custom properties)
If you want to create a reusable segment that you could later on use for your campaigns and automation filtering, go to Audience and choose Saved Segments, then click on New Segment and start with naming your segment. Then, simply select the rules you're mostly interested in and start combining them to squeeze the most out of your list.
1. Click Add filter to start creating the segment
2. Add all necessary filters. Your filtered contacts will automatically appear below your rule set to give you a better idea of who exactly is on that segment. Click Save segment once you are done.
3. Name your segment. This name is internal and will help you identify the segment in the segment list.
4. Once you are done with a particular segment, you will find it under Saved segments tab. Now it will dynamically update itself and you can start using it for your campaigns, automations or sync to Facebook or Google.
Segmentation use cases
- Customers that purchased any product from you at least are more likely to buy from you again
- Use contact tags and build your contact lists via segments to send topic based promotions for better open and click rates
- Customers that did not purchase anything from you after a specific date so you can share a special promotion with them
- Customers based in a particular country so you could send promotions based on the National holidays
- Inactive customers so you can filter those contacts and delete them permanently to keep your list healthy and maintain good sender reputation
- Customers created after a specific date so you can invite your new signups with a special Welcome promotion
Anything you cannot find? Out Support team will help you out.